Steamboating in Muskoka 1866-1959, Gravenhurst, Ontario - Details
Niagara Falls Public Library Logo
Mark this record
Mark this record
View Search History
Go to Images database home
Go to Digital Collections home
Resize image: [+]  [-]
   Steamboating in Muskoka 1866-1959, Gravenhurst, Ontario (image/jpeg)
Title Steamboating in Muskoka 1866-1959, Gravenhurst, Ontario
Creator  Unknown
Type  Still Image
Collection  General Photograph Collection
Extent  3.5" by 3.5"
Medium (f)  Black & white photograph
Notes 

Plaque Text:
Steam navigation on the Muskoka Lakes began in 1866, when the paddle vessel "Wenonah" went into service. Built at Gravenhurst, she was owned by A.P. Cockburn (1837-1905), who served as the federal member of parliament for Muskoka, 1872-82, and for North Ontario, 1882-87. The "Wenonah" was the first of a line of ships known after 1872 as the Northern Lakes Navigation Company, and after 1949 as the Muskoka Lakes Line. Its ships were among many which contributed to the early and rapid development of Muskoka as a lumbering and resort region. The steamboat gradually gave way to the automobile, and the last two, "Segwun" (1887) and "Sagamo" (1906) ceased operation in 1958. The burned hull of the ship "Sagamo" can be seen in the background.
Provenance  Petrie Collection
Date Copyrighted  April 4, 1969.
Subject  Ships
  Monuments
  Fire Department and Fires
Place Name  Gravenhurst (inhabited place)
Source  Niagara Falls (Ont.) Public Library
Record ID  397339
Digital image 
Format image/jpeg
Size  750px X 757px
Resolution  150ppi X 150ppi
Digitization B&W Scan
Equipment Unknown
Date 2014-01-02
Physical items 
Filing No.   Format       
D525956  Black and white photograph     

 

Use of this website signifies your acceptance of the Terms Of Use. [back] Copyright 2001-2021, Niagara Falls Public Library. Contact Us