Ball's Grist Mill, Town of Lincoln - Details
Niagara Falls Public Library Logo
Mark this record
Mark this record
View Search History
Go to Images database home
Go to Digital Collections home
Resize image: [+]  [-]
   Ball's Grist Mill, Town of Lincoln (image/jpeg)
Title Ball's Grist Mill, Town of Lincoln
Creator  Unknown
Type  Still Image
Collection  General Photograph Collection
Extent  3.5" by 3.5"
Medium (f)  Colour photograph
Notes 

Plaque Text:
By 1809 John and George Ball had constructed a four-storey grist-mill here on Twenty Mile Creek. Equipped with two run of stones, the mill provided flour for British troops during the War of 1812. It was expanded during the 1840's and by the end of the decade was part of a complex which included sawmills and woollen factories. About that time George Peter Mann Ball laid out a village plot named Glen Elgin. His plans for an industrial community were thwarted, however, when the Great Western Railway by-passed the site in the early fifties. By 1900 the industries had declined and the grist-mill had been partially dismantled. Closed in 1910, the mill was acquired from the Ball family in 1962 by the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority.
Provenance  The Petrie Collection
Date  May 1977
Subject  Monuments
  Mills
Place Name  Lincoln (inhabited place)
Source  Niagara Falls (Ont.) Public Library
Record ID  397317
Digital image 
Format image/jpeg
Size  750px X 752px
Resolution  150ppi X 150ppi
Digitization Colour Scan
Equipment Unknown
Date 2013-12-30
Physical items 
Filing No.   Format       
D525949  Colour photograph     

 

Use of this website signifies your acceptance of the Terms Of Use. [back] Copyright 2001-2022, Niagara Falls Public Library. Contact Us