Plaque near Miller's Creek along the Niagara Parkway : The Welland Canal at the Niagara Frontier - Details
Niagara Falls Public Library Logo
Mark this record
Mark this record
View Search History
Go to Images database home
Go to Digital Collections home
Resize image: [+]  [-]
   Plaque near Miller's Creek along the Niagara Parkway : The Welland Canal at the Niagara Frontier (image/jpeg)
Title Plaque near Miller's Creek along the Niagara Parkway : The Welland Canal at the Niagara Frontier
Creator  Rodman, Heather
Type  Still Image
Collection  Niagara Falls Public Library Digital Collections
Medium (f)  Colour Digital Image
Notes  Plaque near Miller's Creek along the Niagara Parkway: The Welland Canal at the Niagara Frontier. The passage of the first two vessels form lake to lake was achieved in 1829. After “stemming the broad and strong current of Niagara”, the vessels reached Black Rock where they were met with bursts of applause and honoured by the discharge of artillery from The Terrace. As stated in the biography of William Hamilton Merritt, the canal's founder, “The Welland Canal was now an accomplished fact. The artificial wedding of the Great Lakes of the west and north with the waters of the Ontario, and eventually with the St. Lawrence and the ocean was complete”
Provenance  Donated by Heather Rodman
Date Copyrighted  March 25, 2012.
Subject  Niagara Parkway / Boulevard
  Creeks and Streams
  Monuments
  Welland Ship Canal
Place Name  Fort Erie (inhabited place)
Source  Niagara Falls (Ont.) Public Library
Record ID  367157
Digital image 
Format image/jpeg
Size  750px X 563px
Resolution  150ppi X 150ppi
Digitization Digital image
Equipment Canon Power Shot A530
Date 2012-08-25

 

Use of this website signifies your acceptance of the Terms Of Use. [back] Copyright 2001-2022, Niagara Falls Public Library. Contact Us